Saturday 31 December 2011

Reflections

This is it, the last day of 2011.  There will never be another day like it.  I have been in a reflective sort of mood since yesterday.  So many things have changed in my life, in our lives as a family this year.  We ended last year with my Dad’s unexpected passing, took Aislin out of school and started homeschooling, started some new traditions as a family, etc. 

It has been a year of growth, of regression, of togetherness, of change – it has been a year.  Would I give up any one aspect of this past year?  Other than the ability to make my Dad’s death not happen – no. Even that, though, has unified my small family, so would I give up the new found confidence that I have in spouse and myself because of the trials of my Dad’s passing – nope.  Do I wish our unity had come at a lesser price?  You betcha. 

Would I give up our sudden departure from traditional schooling for Aislin to home schooling? No way.  It has been an adventure, a ride, a period of growth for myself as a Mom, as a teacher, and a wife.  Home schooling has brought us joy, it has allowed my children to grow closer, it has tested my limits of patience, it has tested Stephen’s limits of what is an acceptable level of chaos. It has allowed me to mold Aislin, to help her grow academically, and as a responsible person. It has given me an opportunity to help Aislin become more confident in herself, to challenge her with her thoughts, and her beliefs.  It has given us a closeness that we otherwise wouldn’t have.

I am so glad that we live on St. Croix, where I have a great group of friends that I can turn to when the going got rough. I am thankful that some of those same friends can turn to me when their going got rough.  I love that fact,that I can call up any of my friends and say, “Drinks? Tonight?” and know that I will get at east one or two  takers,  that we can show up in sweats, or dressed up and not one of us will think  any less of the others for it.  I love the fact, that I can call up people and say, hey, I know it’s 4, but come on over for dinner, or drinks, or whatever tonight and no one cares if the house is upside down, the little monster is naked, or the chicken is over cooked.  I love that some of my good friends are neighbors that we can count on to babysit when Stephen and I need to escape the chaos of our house.

So, as we close out the year today, I sit and think, did we have a good year? Yes we did.  Did I learn anything from this year? Yes.

  • Enjoy every moment and every person because you never know when you won’t have that anymore.
  • Your children are unique and you should not expect them to do the same things as other people's children. 
  • The laundry can wait – making memories with your kids or spouse is more important. 
  • Treat everyone, even the bums on the street, as you want to be treated. 
  • Tell your husband that you love him, even when you are mad at him and have visions of throttling him dancing before your eyes.
  • Say what you mean and own it. 
  • Don’t make excuses for yourself or other people.  
  • You have no control over what other people do, only how you react to other people. 
  • Remember the lessons that my Dad taught me, even if I didn’t want to hear them at the time. 
And I think the most important lesson that I learned this year was:


If God brought it to you, He will help you handle it.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment